Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-25 20:50:02
At 11:00 AM -0700 4/25/00, David R. Conrad wrote:
At 8:48 AM -0700 4/25/00, Bill Manning wrote:
and this is different from only carrying the 253 usable /8 prefixes in
IPv4 how?

The set of customers who have addresses under a given IPv4 /8 prefix greater
than 127 do not all aggregate into a single topological subregion (e.g., a
single ISP), and therefore more granular routes must be widely disseminated
to make those customers reachable.  That's the difference.

No.  This is a historical feature that IPv6 alleviates by being able to start
over with a clean slate.  You could (at least theoretically) emulate this in
v4.

Of course.  I interpreted Bill's question as how would this be different
than limiting IPv4 prefix advertisements to only /8s *today*, i.e., without
renumbering the IPv4 Internet, so I answered accordingly.  I didn't think
to interpret the question the way you did, because the answer is so obvious
it wouldn't have made sense to ask.

The difference is that v6 gives you the option of significantly more TLAs than
v4 can ever have.  Of course, this isn't really a feature.

Right.  IPv4 could in theory have 2^32 TLAs and IPv6 could in theory have
2^128 TLAs.  Are you saying that 2^32 TLAs would be OK?

Sheesh -- we get flamed for trying to impose a limit on the number of TLAs
and we get flamed for the possibility that the number TLAs might not be
limited...

Steve