RE: THe Value Of Following Standards... (was Re: VIRUS WARNING)

2000-05-04 10:10:03
I don't know about deliberate inclusion of the security hole - it looks
more to me like "careless". Feels like it just "was not thought to be
a danger of any kind to security"... (Does the word TITANIC mean anything to
you?)

Lillian Komlossy
Site Manager
http://www.dmnews.com
http://www.imarketingnews.com
(212) 925-7300 ext. 232

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 11:58 AM
To: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
Cc: isp-wireless(_at_)isp-wireless(_dot_)com; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: THe Value Of Following Standards... (was Re: VIRUS WARNING)

So if your e-mail software is opening it and feeding it to Visual Basic
just because it's tagged .vbs even though it's a text/plain, you're
violating the RFCs.

well there's nothing illegal about violating RFCs.

but it sure seems like the deliberate inclusion of a security hole in
email software would be sufficient grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Keith