RE: Any comparison Study on MGCP vs H.323, MGCP vs SIP

2000-05-12 15:10:02
From the SGCP FAQ (http://www.argreenhouse.com/sgcp/sgcp-faq.shtml) written
two years ago:

        Do you intend to replace H.323 ?
Definitely not. Just look at the picture above, which shows the relaying of
a call
between an SGCP controlled gateway and an H.323 agent. The combination of
gateways plus call agent forms a distributed H.323 system, which is
perfectly conforming to the H.323 standard...
        If not H.323, why not SIP, then?
In fact, when we realized that we could not use H.323 between the call agent
and the gateways, we tried to base the design of SGCP on SIP. But we
stumbled on the fact that SIP is a peer to peer protocol, while we needed a
master slave protocol. However, interworking between SIP and SGCP is very
easy...

(SGCP is one of the ancestors of MGCP.)

-- Christian Huitema

-----Original Message-----
From: Yixin Zhu [mailto:yixin(_at_)xybridge(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 7:55 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Any comparison Study on MGCP vs H.323, MGCP vs SIP

Hi,

There are studies on the comparision of the two competing
protocol SIP and
H.323. However, MGCP can also provide call control functionalities. A
network with MGCP only (Call agent, MG etc) can provide basic
VoIP service
too. Then my questions are

1. Are there any comparison study between MGCP and H.323?

2. Are there any comparision study between MGCP  and SIP?

You help is very much appreciated. Thanks,

Yixin (James) ZHU