RE: Configuration...

2000-05-25 03:30:01
Hi,
If its only IP address, use RARP mechanism to get the IP address (this
requires a rarp server to be in place in the same network). RARP server can
be enabled in the Linux server. If RARP fails(after some timeout), then go
ahead to use Bootp to get the IP address.

Regards
M.Ravichandran

-----Original Message-----
From:   Sriram Shanmugam [SMTP:SSriram(_at_)ssdi(_dot_)sharp(_dot_)co(_dot_)in]
Sent:   Thursday, May 25, 2000 3:05 PM
To:     'ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'
Subject:        Configuration...

Hai ,

          I am developing a configuration software which should assign an IP
address for a network device  which is connected to the network for the
first time through my program .

        What is the procedure ? , should i use bootp or DHCP or ARP , please
do advice me .In case I assign only IP address in my configuration
application , can i write a common configuration software which can be used
to configure for HP , Lexmark , sharp etc etc.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
S.Sriram