Re: Storage over Ethernet/IP

2000-05-25 20:40:02
On Thu, 25 May 2000 20:08:50 EDT, Jon William Toigo
<jtoigo(_at_)IntNet(_dot_)net>  said:
Put another way, when I design an aircraft, I know about lift, drag and
other engineering parameters and can plug them into calculations that will
enable me to design a wing to lift X number of pounds.  When it comes to
storage networks, I cannot get a straight answer from any vendor regarding
the parameters that must be observed or satisfied -- whether stated as
straightforward quantities/formula or general rules of thumb -- in order to
develop a working storage networking interconnect!

We have over 100 years of experience in the design of fixed-wing
aircraft - the Wright brothers were following onto several years
of glider design.

We have about 10 years experience in the design of high-speed
networks - I think a decade ago, the NSFNet had just completed
a move from 56KB links to T1, and were just starting to think
about T3 links (I may be off a year or two here).

The Red Baron's plane had 20 years of design experience behind it.
How many seconds would you give him against an F-14?

The vendors don't have rules of thumb yet.  Rules of thumb are a clear
indication that a field is mature.  And in this industry, "mature" is
equivalent to "no longer a buzzword".

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech