"HAAGENS,RANDY (HP-Roseville,ex1)": RE: IETF mailing list question on Storage over Ethernet/IP

2000-05-26 05:50:03
Jon,

  A few more comments on SCSI over IP.

 Also, anyone interested in this subject can subscribe to the IPS
reflector?  Info on the IPS reflector:

     IPS
     Name: IP Storage
     Purpose: Semi-official reflector for the IETF IPSWG communication.
Postings
     are made following "authors group" consensus.
     Hosted by: CMU
     Subscribe: Send mail to Majordomo(_at_)ece(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu with the
command subscribe ips

        E-mail: ips(_at_)ece(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 25 May 2000 21:38:11 -0700
From:    "HAAGENS,RANDY (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <randy_haagens(_at_)hp(_dot_)com>
To:      "'Dave Nagle'" <bassoon(_at_)yogi(_dot_)ece(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
cc:      "Scsi-Tcp (E-mail)" <scsi-tcp(_at_)external(_dot_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Subject: RE: IETF mailing list question on Storage over Ethernet/IP

Comments
- --------

1. I agree with your comments about TCP's being implemented in hardware.  It
will be as fast as any other protocol implemented in hardware.

2. Adaptec should speak for themselves; but I believe that the reference to
STP is a misunderstanding.  At the N+I conference, Adaptec demoed a software
prototype of their SCSI Encapsulation Protocol (SEP).  SEP allows SCSI to be
transported over a lightweight protocol of Adaptec's own design for the the
local area, or over TCP for the wide area.

3. The IP Storage Working Group (IBM, Cisco, HP, Adaptec, Quantum, EMC, and
others) are working on a mapping of SCSI to TCP, for use both in the WAN and
in the LAN.  All of us agree on the use of TCP as the transport for the WAN
and LAN, while a minority would probably favor using a lighter-weight
transport for the LAN.

In summary, TCP is suitable as the transport for the WAN and LAN, and it
will be as fast as any protocol when implemented in hardware.  Using a
single transport for the WAN and LAN removes the artificial barrier between
these two environments, and means that applications (like mirroring) can be
designed to scale seamlessly from the local to the wide area.

Randy Haagens
Networked Storage Architecture
Storage Organization
Hewlett-Packard Co.