Re: IP service definition

2000-07-13 10:00:02
Lloyd Wood wrote:

users.  This hurts developers, of course, because it limits our user
base; but it also hurts the non-ISPs' users (obviously) *and* all other
users (by Metcalfe's Law).

...but benefits the non-ISPs, who can charge for selectively
introducing any new service (even if it's e.g. by opening a port in
their firewall.)

Only if they take the narrow view.  In the long run, by putting up the walled
garden, the non-ISP reduces the number of potential users for any new
service, which makes it less likely for that service to get enough momentum
to be accepted.  And, of course, any new, popular Internet service is
valuable to all ISPs, since it increases the value of their service.

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like|
|francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com|one.                                            |