RE: pay for using MPEG-4 standard

2000-08-07 08:40:04
Thanks Collin.

Is this royalty applicable only to Audio/Video(multimedia) related
standards or for any other standard under IETF working groups?

-Jiten

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Perkins [mailto:csp(_at_)east(_dot_)isi(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 8:04 AM
To: Jitendra Goel
Cc: 4on2andIP-sys(_at_)advent(_dot_)ee(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: pay for using MPEG-4 standard

--> Jitendra Goel writes:
Hi All,

I came to know from one of my colleague that if
companies follows MPEG-4 standards during
implementations then they have to pay royalty to
*MPEG-4 Standardizing Committee* just because
they are following the MPEG-4 standards.

e.g. Supposing a company "A Corp" comes up with
MPEG-4 solutions ( player/authoring tool/server ...)
that are fully compliant with MPEG-4 standards.
Does it mean, it needs to pay anything to MPEG-4
committee just because its products are MPEG-4
standard compilant.

your comments are most welcome.

The MPEG-4 standard - like most other audio/video coding standards -
includes a number of features which are covered by patents and other
IPR. It is likely that you will have to obtain a license to use that
IPR before using (certain features of) the standard, and this might
involve payment of royalties. You can find more information at:
        http://www.cselt.it/mpeg/       MPEG home page
        http://www.m4if.org/            MPEG-4 industry forum

To make this discussion relevent to the IETF, I note that the audio/video
transport working group has not been notified of any IPR on the proposed
RTP payload formats for MPEG-4 media. Since this discussion includes the
joint MPEG/IETF mailing list developing such formats, I remind people that
section 10 of RFC 2026 discusses the requirements for IPR disclosure when
working on IETF standards.

Colin Perkins
IETF AVT co-chair