Re: Sequentially assigned IP addresses--why not?

2000-08-10 19:00:02
At 01:33 PM 8/10/00 -0400, Corzine, Gordie wrote:
Wouldn't it be better by far, to assign new addresses from 000...1, and map
to routing information however we may code it?

What the Internet architecture tries to do is get rid of the circuit-switched route and the large-scale database. We do that by embedding topology information in the IP Address. This is fundamentally the difference between a connection oriented and connectionless network.

No, it's not a stupid question. It's a paradigm question. You're asking the same thing Dave Mills asked in the mid-1970's: are we better off with circuit-switched routes or connectionless routes? Kleinrock's premise, underlying packet networking as we know it, is that the latter is a winner for survivability reasons. Those who form the bell-shaped side of the business tend to be of the other opinion. This constitutes something of a religious divide.

As to the difference between the two, you can think of it in terms of telling someone how to get from Los Angeles California to Jacksonville Beach Florida. There are three ways:

  - I can give the guy a map and tell him to find his own way
    (that may be Active Networking)
  - I can tell him to get on Highway 10 and go east until he can't go any
    further
- I can tell him to get on Highway 10, go east until he comes to a junction,
    and then ask someone for directions.

The first is pretty complex when you think in terms of packet networks. The second is pretty simple, but gives the driver (packet) no options. The third is more survivable, but requires enough intelligence in the driver to ask the right question. The third is connectionless networking as implemented in the IP Internet. The topological address is what he needs to ask that question.

Next issue is "so how do we get the right address?" - aha, something that you translate into a topological address for the purpose of routing is a name. The ITU even has a formal definition somewhere that puts it in so many words. We have names - DNS names.