Re: non-engineers

2000-08-11 12:40:03
On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:38:18 BST, Lloyd Wood said:
Also, whether or not Thomas J Watson said 5 or not, it's interesting to go
back and look at how many of the beasts IBM actually *DID* sell - I do
believe
that IBM installed one system "on display" in NYC where passers-by could see
the system.  And only 5 or 6 others of that model were made, unless I
misremember
my history.

Wood's maxim: those that misremember their history are doomed to
repeat it. On mailing lists.

I've been notified by somebody who was THERE that the first machine at
IBM World was the SSEC was a one-off, and the second was an IBM 701, which
had a production run of about 20.

I stand corrected, having confused the first and second machines, and
being a factor of 4 off.  It's been a while since I read the book on
IBM's early history, and I personally didn't show up till the very end
of the S/360/Dec-20 days...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst