Re: Sequentially assigned IP addresses--why not?

2000-08-12 07:00:02
At 6:44 -0400 8/12/00, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
Let me try and say this kindly (since after it is
pointed out several hundred times it gets quite
frustrating).  If you don't see the processing
requirements then you have *no* understanding of how
routing works.

You need not go to great pains to be "kind" about it.  This is a pretty
standard preamble to a post that essentially means "I disagree."

The *first* function is to calculate that forwarding
table used above.  This is the place that processing
power is needed.  On busy routers this calculation can
be necessary hundreds of times a second.  The more
routes the larger the process of recalculating the
forwarding table when a change *anywhere* in the
topology occurs.

I wonder how human beings manage to route their cars from one point to
another, given how much more slowly they process things than do routers.

Because their cars move *much* slower than packets.