Re: more on IPv6 address space exhaustion

2000-08-15 19:50:02
   From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
   Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:15:20 -0400

   we've had technology for content labelling, and filtering based on
   such labels, for awhile.  nobody uses it.

   a one-bit content label is even harder to use than the PICS stuff.

   all of the objections about this being improper use of the address
   space also apply, but even if those were overcome, the scheme still
   wouldn't solve any problems.  it would accomplish nothing except to
   waste half of the IPv6 address space.

And if we have one bit for "jew-free", and another bit for "arab-free",
and another bit for "quebeque-approved" (where the content of every web
page must be in both english and french), "chinese-governemnt-censored",
etc., etc., etc., where hosts now have to have multiple IPv6 address
prefixes to satisfy the needs of all of these power-hungry politicians
that want to create their own filtered version of the Internet ---

I wonder what happens to the size of routing tables that the core
backbone routers will have to handle?

                                                - Ted