Re: Helping the research community

2000-08-29 16:50:01
Beni Arazi <arazi(_at_)ee(_dot_)bgu(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il> writes:

Somebody just made a comment:
"While the last thing I want to do is promote the use of the IETF list as
a network help line..."

There is nothing wrong in giving, for free, good professional advices to
research students and start-up personnel, as a service to the community.

In principle, no.

But there is something wrong with doing this on a list which is
supposed to be used for discussing technical issues pertaining to IETF
standards activities.

If you (or Lixia, or someone else) wants to create another forum for
this purpose, that's great.

This is especially true when observing that many of us have all the time
in the world to discuss, in dozens of mails, much more important issues
like how to number elevator buttons.

There is a lot of excess noise on this list.  I'm sure I'm not the
only one annoyed by off-topic flamage, and I wish more people would
consider this before contributing to the nearly constant flame wars
here.

That's all I'm going to say on this topic.

                Marc