Re: I-D ACTION:draft-coates-urn-namespace-00.txt

2000-09-25 08:00:02
Howdy,

It is indeed perceived as an issue.  It's currently being
discussed in the URN Working Group, in the form of proposed revisions
to the URN NID registration process document.

Personally, I think a solution is to have a more generic URN namespace
that serves the needs of more individual publishers, such as
this (and Norman Walsh, who has a similar proposal for "ndw").

I haven't had the time to sit down and propose one that could be
globally supported, and wouldn't simply push the ".com" problem
down a level.

Leslie.

"Dawkins, Spencer" wrote:

I agree completely with the author's goals, but are we really going to do
this?

Hint: how many people in the world have the three initials "abc"?

I'm not sure that per-carbon-based-lifeform URN spaces are going to scale a
lot better than networks or domain names with the same level of granularity -
especially since the URN seems headed for a flat namespace (think ".com",
only it's a URN namespace).

Am I missing something obvious (it IS 8:44 AM in my timezone)?

Spencer