Re: Last Call: Tags for the Identification of Languages to BCP

2000-10-21 03:10:03
At 08:45 20/10/2000 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 10:23 AM 10/20/00 -0400, The IESG wrote:
>The IESG has received a request to consider Tags for the Identification
>of Languages <draft-alvestrand-lang-tag-v2-05.txt> as a BCP.  This has
>been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
>Group.
>
>This document will obsolete RFC1766, currently a Proposed Standard.

If RFC 1766 is obsoleted, wouldn't any Proposed Standard which has
a normative reference to RFC 1766 also be obsolete?

No. The referring documents stay at the same level as before.

If we didn't allow this, almost no base standard could ever be updated.
But any revision of the referring documents would have to refer to the new ones.
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
+47 41 44 29 94