Re: ACAP (RFC 2244)

2000-12-03 12:50:02
At 12:18 PM -0500 12/3/00, Henning G. Schulzrinne wrote:

 Are there any ACAP implementations out there?

CMU has a free ACAP server. Stalker Software's Communigate Pro includes an ACAP server. I've heard of other companies developing ACAP servers, but nothing has been announced as far as I know. Several email clients use ACAP to one extent or another. Some browser developers have said they will add support for the bookmarks dataset.

 If so, in reasonably widespread use?

Use does seem to be expanding, but at a slow rate.

 Is this still considered the best blueprint for
 application configuration, e.g., also as a format for configuration
 files or in transports other than the ACAP transport?

It's probably the easiest to use of any available mechanism, and offers a number of advantages (efficient use of bandwidth, easy resynchronization, etc.). In my opinion, it's also a very nice protocol.