unscribe

2000-12-26 07:20:02

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Altman [SMTP:jaltman(_at_)columbia(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 4:03 PM
To:   V Guruprasad
Cc:   Ken Hornstein; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:      Re: Bottom feeders

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Ken Hornstein wrote:

That hasn't been my experience; I've seen what can only be described
as
an "old-boy" network in operation.  I'm not saying that such a thing
is
necessarily bad, just that sometimes it takes significant effort to
overcome it if you're a newbie.

Both the "old-boy" network and the undue skepticism are natural and
occur
in every field. My intuition is, if you try to suppress them, they'll
show
up in other ways!

On the other hand, I was a first-timer at the 49th IETF (although I was
already known to some in mmedia wg before), and had a rather atrocious
proposal to lobby for (see my I-D - you *can't* possibly believe it at
first reading :-). I've seen no less openness and no more skepticism at
the IETF than within my own organisation. I think the people are
wonderful,
including many "old timers" - I quite enjoyed the many first-hand
stories
in the many hallway discussions.

But here is the difference between your first time experience and
those of others.  You were already known in one of the WG communities;
and you came with an I-D that you were trying to build support for.
In other words, you were a participant rather than a lurker.

You are exactly the type of first timers that should come to IETF
meetings.

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 7.1 Alpha available
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support(_at_)kermit-project(_dot_)org          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to
follow.