preventing black markets in signature ability?

2001-01-17 23:21:30
There seems to be a lot of evidence that voting anonymously
(the privacy constraint) and free from fraud or accidental
errors (the authenticity constraint) might not be possible to
do online any better than can be done with paper ballots or
specialized, auditable electronic voting machines.  And clearly
the potential for serious abuse is much worse when unauditable
data-processing (such is inherent on the Internet and would be
even if everyone converted to static IPv6 addresses) is used to
the exclusion of truckloads of paper ballots.  Stacks of
paper are much more difficult to forge than a series of IP
addresses, and that will remain true for a very long time.
So I've never been a fan of general online voting, and I
hope it is a long time before political elections are performed
with unauditable equipment such as web browsers on wintel PCs.
If that ever happens I expect the temptation of serious fraud
will become too great for those capable of it, and so it
would only serve to discredit other kinds of online democracy,
such as certificate-based petition signing.

Petitioning is the topic of the SmartInitiatives Initiative --
www.smartinitiatives.org -- which fascinates me more all the
time.  With online certificate-based petition signing, there
is no need to keep the names of the signers private; in fact
they might necessarily be a part of the public record (I am
not sure about that.)  So, with the strict privacy constraint
relaxed, is anyone at all concerned that such authentication
might still be subject to any serious fraud?

The financial services industry uses weaker forms of web-based
authentication all the time for transactions to and from
customer and corporate accounts seemingly without any limits
on the size of the transaction, and other kinds of businesses
do, too.  If online brokers let people shuffle million$ from
pork belly futures to and from foreign exchange index options
(and other accounts via wire transfer) all with 56-bit
encryption, I can hardly see any Registrar or Clerk fretting
over a list of certificate-based crypto-signatures as any
worst than the corresponding stack of papers.

After all, election officials (in California, anyway) are
required to take a random sample of the signatures collected
on any official petition and verify them by looking up and
contacting the people who purportedly signed them.  Since
most such petitions require thousands of signatures at the
very least, nobody forging any sizable percentage of their
signatures, electronic or not, has any real hope of escaping
the scrutiny of random sample verification, and the penalties
for intentional fraud are very serious.  So, while in theory
attempting such fraud might be easier, I don't see how it
could ever work in practice.  Can anyone?

So, what I'm getting to is this excerpt from the SmartInitiatives
mailing list message below:

Here's what the Jones Report (Secretary of State Bill Jones' Internet
Voting Task Force Report, January, 2000, has to say about the viability of
digital certificates:

While there are similarities between voting and petition signing, it is
important to note that the two are not identical and they have somewhat
different cost and security properties:

Petition-signing is a year-round activity, whereas voting occurs during a
limited time window. Hence, servers and other infrastructure needed to
support petition signing would need to be running year-round, instead of
just during a time window before election day. This may dramatically
increase the total cost of managing the system.  While it is reasonable to
expect voters, for security reasons, to submit a signed request for
Internet voting authorization each time before they vote (similar to a
request for an absentee ballot), it is not reasonable to expect voters to
submit such request each time they wish to sign a petition. As a result,
voters who wish to sign petitions electronically would likely have to be
issued authorization (means of authentication) that are open-ended in
time. The longer such authorizations are valid, the more likely it is that
some of them will be compromised, or sold, reducing the integrity of the
petition-signing system over time.  Voters can sign any number of
petitions in an election cycle. Hence, a compromised authorization to sign
petitions would be usable for signing any number of petitions, magnifying
the damage to the system's integrity.

Does that make sense to anyone -- does anyone believe that?
My guess is that some mid-level government official just didn't
want to think it through, especially given the requirement for
random sampling of petition signatures.

THE ONLY PART THAT REALLY BOTHERS ME, is the word "sold".  If
I am such a pathetic excuse for a citizen that I decide to sell
my ability to sign petitions to someone else, then of course I'm
not going to give myself away if some Clerk phones me up and
asked if I signed something; of course I'll say I did.

The initiative process is one of the things I think is really
great about California, and if the Internet can support a
paperless form of signing such signatures, I think that would
be the greatest application since HTTP.  But, if it can't
overcome the potential serious problems of a black market in
signing ability, then it probably isn't worth it.

So, what solutions are there to the potential for such sales?
Perhaps during verification, the signers being scrutinized
would simply be asked to describe what they signed, or the
date and time they signed, or both?  Would that fix the problem?

Cheers,
James