Re: Net police

2001-01-25 12:30:02

|       I hear that people aren't passing prefixes longer than /20.  Is this
| true, and how broadly is this being implemented?  If I wanted to advertise
| my own IP space (say a /24) instead of space provided by my ISP, would many
| ISP's not pass my route because of prefix length?

I am sure that if there are any networks who are filtering you, be
they ISPs or end-users, such that you can't reach something through
them that you'd like to, a small payment will almost certainly cause
an exception to be installed in whatever access list is being used
to keep your long prefix from occupying a "slot" that could be occupied
by a longer prefix or something otherwise statistically more likely
to be interesting to their customers (or themselves) than your /24.

        Sean.