Re: Blast from the past

2001-01-26 01:20:03

on that picture, UCL would have been running triple (or maybe even
quadruple) staccks - we had the x.25/colour book (you did i think),
and the cambridge ring stuff, as well as some weird port expanders and
so on......

to get email between 2 pdp11/44s on a cambridge ring at one point we
used to use the external loopnack on an LSI/11 satnet (simp) interface
as far as i recall which meant that in theory, email goijng across the
room went about 35,000 miles....so you could say that the
interplanetary internet started in the earlie 1980s in a small
basement room....

In message <200101260008(_dot_)AAA14601(_at_)gra(_dot_)isi(_dot_)edu>, Bob
Braden typed:

 *> >
 *> >However, I have to observe that this strange thing called ARPANET
 *> >appears to be using private addresses :-)
 *>
 *> And I assume there were ALGs to translate between NCP and TCP hosts...
 *>
 *>

Nope. Dual stacks.

Bob Braden