ABOUT: MPLS-VPN, RD

2001-02-11 18:50:02
hello everyone,
    I just can not understand what the RD (route distinguisher) means? when we
assign RDs to users, is it a good idea to use the network address assigned to
the user as the RD?  Let's take the cisco MPLS-VPN as an example. we assign
1.1.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 network address to a user, and our, that is to say
the ISP's, ASN is 65412, so the RD we'll assign to the user is

    1.1.1.0 : 65412        (network address : ASN)

    what about this method to assign RD to user? and in the cisco MPLS-VPN,
what does the other format of RD mean? the format is

    16bits integer : 32bits integer

    what does it mean and how does it use? and Juniper's JunOS MPLS-VPN what is
the format of the RD?

    thank you very much!