Re: More member-only anti-spam

2001-02-13 11:40:02
Speaking as co-Chair of POISSON, before we go too far down this
discussion right now, POISSON will be taking up the topic of
requirements for IETF mailing lists with the goal of producing a
suitable document (or two or three or whatever).

Please be patient for a short while longer and watch for the
announcement on "poised(_at_)lists(_dot_)tislabs(_dot_)com".  If you're
interested in
this topic I would suggest you subscribe to that mailing list now, by
sending a message with the single word "subscribe" in the body to
"poised-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)tislabs(_dot_)com".

Thanks,

Jim

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Lloyd Wood wrote:

    Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:44:56 +0000 (GMT)
    From: Lloyd Wood <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
    To: udlr(_at_)SOPHIA(_dot_)INRIA(_dot_)FR
    Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, poised(_at_)lists(_dot_)tislabs(_dot_)com
    Subject: More member-only anti-spam

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Emmanuel Duros wrote on udlr:

     > I am forwarding this mails to the udlr mailing list.
     > There has been for several months an anti-spam mechanism at INRIA. It
     > basicaly prevents unsubscribed people from sending mails to the mailing
     > list. Unfortunately, iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org is one of them...
    [..]

    quite important forwarded mail of 10 Feb, indicating udlr draft moving
    to proposed standard, snipped.

    You just can't do members-only on IETF WG lists. See recent discussion
    on poisson. I'd suggest moving the list elsewhere...

    Antispam measures interfere with the normal business of the IETF, to
    its detriment.

    L.

<L(_dot_)Wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>