Internet Governance - UPDATE

2001-02-13 22:30:03

FYI:

To: awpd(_at_)yahoogroups(_dot_)com
From: Jay Fenello <jay(_at_)fenello(_dot_)com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:09:41 -0500
Subject: [awpd] Internet Governance - UPDATE

Hello,

For everyone who is interested in what's wrong with our
country, our society, our government, and our world ...

... Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT), Chairman of the Communications
Subcommittee of the Senate's Commerce, Science, and Transportation
Committee, will be holding hearings on ICANN tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.
in room 253 of the Russell Senate Office Building.

ICANN is the secretive new Internet Governance body formed
under the Clinton administration back in 1998.  Critics charge
that it is a front for multinational corporations who seek to
control the world-wide Internet, much like the WTO currently
controls world-wide Trade.  In fact, they are both based on
the same model.

The witnesses at tomorrow's hearing include Mike Roberts,
ICANN president and one of the insiders who has controlled
the organization since its inception.

Opposite Mike is Karl Auerbach, the North American At-Large
Director recently elected in the world's first global election.
Karl is a strong critic of the ICANN takeover, especially the
recent changes in decision making within the ICANN Board.
Since the election, almost all decisions are now being made by
an "executive committee," a subset of the ICANN board designed
to keep the new Directors out of the process.

Expect *fireworks* at tomorrow's sessions!!!

Last week, the House held similar hearings.
http://www.house.gov/commerce/hearings/telecom02082001.htm

Here are some memorable quotes from that one:

"[ICANN] appears to be accountable to no one except
perhaps God Almighty." -- Dingell

"Events at the Vatican are shrouded in less mystery
than the process by which ICANN chooses TLDs" -- Markey

"ICANN has the authority to set public policy for the
Internet, and it's got a history of perhaps trying to
overstep that power." -- Sheffield

To learn more about last week's hearings, see also:

ICANN Under Attack (Network World Fusion)
http://tm0.com/thestandard/sbct.cgi?s=64386407&i=301965&d=1009354

U.S. Lawyers Criticize ICANN (Reuters)

ICANN Chairman Responds To House Charges
http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/1,2171,8_583731,00.html

Cerf's Up! Congress Grills ICANN Chair on Domain Names
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683840,00.html

Domain Name Selection Process Under Fire
http://www.msnbc.com/news/528384.asp

+++

Jay Fenello
------------------------------------
http://www.fenello.com 678-585-9765
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
"All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of
advice.  I should not speak so boldly if it were my due
to be believed"  -- Montaigne

+++

This message is from the "Aligning With Purpose Discussion" list.
Please send subcribe requests to awpd-subscribe(_at_)eGroups(_dot_)com,
and unsubscribe requests to awpd-unsubscribe(_at_)eGroups(_dot_)com(_dot_)

+++

Jay Fenello