why cellphones and VOIP telephony are equivalently evil

2001-03-22 17:50:02
so, my conclusion?  ... problems ... can be ... traced to the ...
cell phone....

Those studying the use of cell phones for education have come to
similar yet entirely sincere conclusions:

  http://sll.stanford.edu/projects/mobilelearning

Live UDP audio has the same kinds of problems as digital cellular for
many if not most network paths.  Probably way over 99% of everything
I've ever heard referred to as "Voice Over IP" or "internet telephony"
suffers from the identified issues, and has no place in interactive
education.  Clearly, traditional telephone users don't want to have to
pay to upgrade their existing, satisfactory systems, either; especially
when it means no added value and the loss of communication redundancy.

In spite of my best efforts, many well-respected and powerful internet
companies and their executives have failed to take the simple step of
adding value asynchronous TCP for interactive voice.  So much could
have already been accomplished.  Where did I go wrong?

Perhaps it is time to engage in all-out satire in the face the
insufficiently clued and their minions.  What else is left?

Sincerely,
James