Re: network simulation software?

2001-03-23 10:20:02
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:56:10 +0800, Wang Hui said:
I am about to set up a small Network Simulation lab as to do some
network protocol simulations.

Congratulations, and good luck.

The first thing to do is to choose the software and its platform.

No, the *first* thing to do is understand *what* you're trying to simulate
and *why*.

Are you trying to understand the protocol at all?  You'd probably be
better off spending the time and effort reading a good book on the
subject, or doing a literature search for research papers already done.

Are you trying to understand a *specific aspect* of a *specific protocol*?
For instance, "failure modes of the SMTP protocol when communicating with
a node that implements the protocol improperly" (I've studied *that* enough
myself)? Or are you trying to understand oscillation modes in BGP flaps
(which I don't understand well, except as they apply to queue management
for an SMTP server - when the routes are flapping, you start piling up
queues).

If so, you need to specify what protocol, and what aspect,
you're studying.  The question you are asking will make a difference in the
tools you will need to answer it.

But as for me, I have no experience of working on it,  so I have no idea
of that.  Anyone has any idea?

Idea: Get up to speed on it before trying to do simulations.  Or at least
figure out something more specific than "I've been told to set up a lab".

Starting out without a clear goal in mind guarantees failure.  Among other
things, lack of a clear goal means you can't tell when you've suceeded.

...............................  Which network software is popular among
this field?  Could you drop me a message?  Or give me some web links?

The network software is *totally* *irrelevant* until you understand
what you're trying to do.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech