RE: Meeting logistics cost, convenience and risk and RE Deja Vu

2001-03-29 11:30:03
I have been reading these many excellent points for eleven days now. However, I
note that similar discussions occur after most IETFs. My own preference is that
these conversations not occur, since their (almost predictable) recurrence
suggests that this is more "venting" than "problem solving", and I'd prefer my
mailbox to fill up with material that I can do something about. I therefore
suggest that we either discontinue these many threads or else we establish
something like POISED to actually do something to scratch these nagging itches.

Should we establish a POISED-like discussion, then I would like to introduce
the following data points:
1) A coworker of mine is the IEEE Secretary. I've overhead enough of his phone
calls to know that IEEE meetings and logistics are scheduled three to five
years in advance.
2) The community needs to determine whether fixed locations or variable
locations are preferable. Arguments for both alternatives can be made. However,
the answer to this question will fundamentally shape the rest of the discussion.
3) The fundamental requirements of any IETF meeting include (increasingly large
and increasingly numerous) meeting rooms, extensive terminal facilities with
both IPv4 and (increasingly) IPv6 connectivity, excellent wireless
connectivity, proximity to many hotels, proximity to many restaurants. It is
also desirable that the location have proximity to major airport hub locations.
4) Capabilities for "virtual attendance" need to be enhanced. Remote attendees
need to be able to contribute to meetings and respect needs to be shown to them
by consistently using microphones. More sessions should also have facilities to
enable "virtual attendance".
5) I suggest that historic meeting demographic information be used to determine
where the majority of attendees come from. This demographic information should
also consider where the majority of IDs and RFC authors reside. I acknowledge
arguments to the contrary, however, it is my personal perspective that for the
sake of continuity (which I argue is increasingly important within the IETF as
it continues to grow), locations favoring continued attendance of this majority
are preferable over locations encouraging attendance by new classes of
attendees.