Re: The architechture of the future network and its protocol

2001-04-05 03:30:03
Wang Hui wrote:

Hi folks here,

I am about to start a new research project which will be done in my Ph.D
student period.  And I am interested in the future Internet and related
issues.  But since I am a newbie to this field, I have some puzzles.  I need
your help.

Well I used to have interest on these two protocols below:
You can have a glance on X500 (its an old protocol) and its son LDAP (light
Weight Directory Access Protocol). They are doing some good stuff about the
LDAP at UMICH (University of Michigan).
These two protocols a related with directory services and administration.

With the unbelievable expansion of Internet, the current Internet encounters
many limitations, such as the speed and performance.  How about setup a new
architecture for the whole network, which is scalable, manageable, and of a
high performance?

Well it is difficult to anwser because stuff like this (technology) are going
fast. I heard about these architecture: Man, Lan, Wan and SAN. I hope the last
one is the right name. It talks about network and databases and configuration.

 As to protocol, will IPv6 domain the world?  Or other protocols?

You know there already an architecture and this change will go slowly.
You can look at IPV6 but there is good stuff too about voice over IP.

And is there any research projects connected with the future network
architecture and its related things?  Could anyone give me some hints? or
point out some web links?

A web site that purhaps can help you to start your research:
                                          http://www.protocols.com/

it provide a good openview of all the protocols that are on the vogue nowadays.
Usually I do my search with either www.svn.net/search or www.zworks.com purhaps
this can help you to improve in your PhD studies.

Thanks in advance.

-Wang Hui

Sebastien

--
What's important is not simplicity or complexity, but how you bridge the two.
                                                    Larry Wall, Aug. 25, 1998