RE: Octet string encoding

2001-04-13 15:50:02
The correct answer is (a).

This question would be better asked on the SNMPv3 mailing list
than on this generic mailing list.

A manager accepting (b) is behaving in the spirit of "be flexible
in what you accept", but it will probably interpret the value incorrectly
according to what was meant in the MIB definition.

Bert

----------
From:         Puja Singh[SMTP:puja(_dot_)singh(_at_)wipro(_dot_)com]
Sent:         Friday, April 13, 2001 3:55 PM
To:   ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc:   ietf-announce(_at_)wipro(_dot_)com; Shivendra Kumar; Abhishek Bagchi;
Puja
Singh
Subject:      Octet string encoding

Hi,

We are working on SNMP Agent implementation.  We have a query regarding
the encoding of Octet string within a response PDU whether the Octet
string should be encoded as ascii or as hex & what should be the size of
the variable binding within the PDU?
If a MIB object is defined as of type Octet String of size 6 , when we
send the response we can send it as:
(a) Octet String as Hex , which will get encoded as Octet string of
length 6 bytes.
The equivalent ASN.1 representation will look like
Type = 04 , length = 06 and then the six bytes value
(b) Octet string a Ascii , which will get encoded as Octet string of
length 12 bytes.
Here each hex digit becomes an ASCII character so it needs twice the
space.

We would like to understand whether both the above representations are
correct and acceptable. Or, Is it that only (a) is acceptable.

I know it is a very basic question, but, I think I need an answer as I
find the standard SNMP managers accepting both.

Regards,
Puja

-
This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)beatles(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Maurizio Codogno.