N:N multicast with extra address space?

2001-04-18 21:30:02

 I'm building applications for collaborative 3D graphics
 using SRM (actually LRMP) multicast on the local Ethernet.
 They're peer to peer systems, not in the new buzzword of
 the day sense, but in all being equal participants rather
 than a client/server design.

 My systems have multiple senders, but a per-group routing
 tree rather than per-source is fine. In the future I'll
 want (like many VR/distributed sim folk) to be able to
 allocate from a large range of multicast addresses, say
 12 bits or more. Waiting for IP6 isn't an option.

 The "Interconnections" 2nd ed book describes a shared tree
 multicast with 8 byte group IDs that would fit my needs
 very nicely. Can anyone point me to a working group/mailing
 list where I can find out more about this?

--
        Hugh Fisher
        ANU/CSIRO VE Lab