Re: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

2001-05-07 07:30:02
On Sun, 06 May 2001 22:34:17 PDT, Mark Nottingham said:
My original question was whether this behaviour was useful; although

I don't think it is..

firewalls can (and some undoubtably will) break open the XML to try
and figure out what's inside, SOAPAction gives those who merely wish
to have some reasonable control over what SOAP messages pass into and
out of their network.

No, it doesn't provide reasonable control.  Since the whole *point* of
a firewall is to stop malicious packets, and since a packet can simply
label itself as "non-malicious", it leaks too much.

We *already* have too many networks out there run by people who think
that because they've installed a firewall, they're secure.  I'm going
to have to protest tooth-and-nail any proposal that will give even a
HINT to "the unwashed masses" that they can say "We installed a firewall
that implements SOAP, we dont have to worry about bad SOAP packets".

I have *NO* objections to implementing SOAPAction so that software can
use it as a "hint" for possible fast-pathing or special handling of some
sort (for instance, to flag it as SOAP-compliant so a SOAP handler can
be loaded, or to flag it as "priority" for expedited handling, or for
purposes similar to 'content-type:'.  If somebody comes across a good
way to use SOAPAction: headers to make the Akamai node across the hall
from me do even more cool caching things, I'll encourage that ;)

I only object to the implication that it's reasonable to use it for
yes/no decisions in a firewall or other security context.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst