Re: I-D archives available anywhere?

2001-06-18 09:20:02
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:17:49 +0300, Pekka Savola <pekkas(_at_)NETCORE(_dot_)FI>
 said:
For comparing what changed between I-D releases, storing at least a few
revisions in old/ directory would help if you want to check for changes
with e.g. diff(1).

The problem with this, of course, is that 'diff' is notoriously bad at
distinguising between semantic and syntactic changes.  For instance, if
the author inserts one word on the first line of the paragraph, and the
text is reflowed, 'diff' will report a large change.

Try diffing the preceeding paragraph with the following:

The problem with this, of course, is that most 'diff' are notoriously bad
at distinguishing between semantic and syntactic changes.  For instance,
if the author inserts one word on the first line of the paragraph,
and the text is reflowed, 'diff' will report a large change.

And *NO*, this is *NOT* a 'we need to use XML/HTML/etc' - we haven't waited
the requisite 6 months before re-starting that flame war. ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst