RE: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-20 11:50:02
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:18:32 EDT, Keith Moore said:

but this isn't what's controversial about OPES.  what's controversial
is the notion
that the transformations enabled by OPES might also occur in the
interior of the
network, without being explicitly authorized by either the source or
the destination.

Amen.

A lot of things that OPES wants to do, I might want to use as a content
provider,
or as a content consumer.  It's that man-in-the-middle thing that
bothers me.

--
                              Valdis Kletnieks
                              Operating Systems Analyst

The man-in-the-middle thing can happen irrespective of what OPES does
or doesn't do, in the absence of end-to-end security, say TLS.
I fail to see how OPES's charter and its yet-to-be-developed protocol
would worsen the existing situation.

Joe Hui
Research Engineer
Digital Island