RE: on OPES

2001-06-22 12:00:03

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 2:00 PM

I think it comes down to this:

If OPES is building a standard interface which allows a
content-provider
a lot of flexibility in implementing *its own services*,
and/or allows a user
a lot of flexibility in adapting content to his own needs, that's
probably a good thing.

yes, I agree with you here.

If on the other hand OPES is building an interface which
allows a third
party to modify content that is obtained from other
information providers,
I don't see any way that IETF should support it.  Even
requiring consent is
not enough if the user or provider can be coerced into
providing that consent.

yes, I agree with you here also, as I said before and you added that we need
to make the edge an extension of the source (and in between).

When OPES proponents gloss over the difference between these
it doesn't
give me confidence that they can be trusted to develop
appropriate protocol
mechanisms to deter abuse, much less recommend policy for the
use of OPES.

Keith

Well, here we need to give the benefit of the doubt. The IETF is an open
process where the input of all is welcommed. I am sure that at the end of
the day the people of the IETF will contribute towards doing the right
thing.

I know you will give me examples of the contrary, but I am a strong beilver
of the
democratic process.

abbie