Re: IPv8

2001-07-01 14:50:02
Don,

IP Version number allocations are authoritatively documented at the
IANA Web site at <http://www.iana.org/assignments/version-numbers>.
IPv8 was an alternative proposed successor to IPv4 and is documented,
I believe, in RFC 1621 and 1622.

The recent postings you have received, despite the use of the string
"IPv8" and being posted to the IETF list, have nothing to do with this
actual IPv8. Despite the use of the string "RFC" in these postings to
the IETF list, they having nothing to do with any IETF RFC. The link
you cite below is merely to an area with public comments, not an area
with any sort of official output by NTIA. It is as though these
postings were an effort to cause confusion.

I have no idea what "7:255 MELON" means and no reason to believe it
would be worth the effort to find out.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  "Don McMorris" <don(_at_)ws-hosting(_dot_)net>
To:  "IETF Network Support" <IETF(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Date:  Sun, 1 Jul 2001 16:46:52 -0400

Hello.  I recieved[as all of you have] this link:

RFC-2001-07-01-000 IPv8 Expansion of Proof of Concept TLD Development
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

I am trying to inderstand it.  IE: The last one:
7:255    MELON
wheras the format is G:S
I was wondering what the G and the S mean.  I am also wondering how IPv8 =
will differ from IPv6.

Please PLEASE do not harass me for asking!  I am learning, and it takes =
a while!