Re: Competing Domain-Name Registries Creating Tower of Cyber-Babel

2001-07-06 03:30:03
I'm trying to avoid not to dwell into the
details, but it looks as if you are not aware
of the fact that there are several countries
connected to the Internet.

I'm aware of that, but only one machine in the world can have a given IP
address, and only one machine can have a given FQDN.

Only one telephone in the world can have a given fully-qualified telephone
number, but the telephone system gets around this by allowing users to specify
only subsets of the complete number, and these subsets can point to different
fully-qualified numbers in different places.  This is rather like the open-ended
IP addressing scheme that I proposed some time ago to prevent the exhaustion of
the IP address space (IPv6 and even IPv8 will be exhausted far more quickly than
anyone expects), but nobody was interested in that, either.

At least I'll be able to point back to my archived posts years from now and say
"See, I told you so!" when the inevitable comes to pass.

Also, when you say: "Nobody is ever going to visit
domains with names like .shop, anyway," you seem to
forget the info dissemination needs of the whole
SME marketplace.

No, I'm just acknowledging the reality of user interfaces, as I illustrated in
my example.  Nobody wants to type Coca-Cola-GA, because the state in which the
company is based has no relevance for the user.  Similarly, there's no point in
typing bills-tv-repair.shop when the .shop suffix has no relevance for the user
(he already knows what Bill's TV Repair is).

Another point: I cannot register kolehmainen.fi
as my domain name, since that would be grossly
unfair to all the other individuals with the same
surname in Finland, which I find quite acceptable.

So who _can_ "fairly" register this domain name?