Re: Comparison of ICAP and SOAP

2001-07-10 12:10:02

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:12:56AM -0600, Hilarie Orman wrote:
The 'explicitly addressed' was added to explicitly address your
concerns that the IP addressing model might be violated.

parsing... parsing...

I don't *think* I've raised any such concerns... my primary concern
has been the violation of the implied trust model on the Web, not
IP's addressing model.

Now you appear to be getting at application level addressing or
'targeting' (what do mean by 'arbitrary content'?).

The phrase 'arbitary message content' was attempting to communicate
the idea that some part of a message passing through an intermediary
nominiates that message for modification, etc., rather than some
out-of-band ruleset, etc.

The security model can encompass delegation within the message to
any degree of specificity, but it seems to me that classes of
delegation are the most useful principals - 'proxy', 'surrogate',
'edge proxy'.

In the infamous words of Pauline Hanson, "Please explain?"

For most publishers, these delegations, if required, likely will be
added by reverse proxies that modify content based on pattern
matching.

This statement seems to make a number of assumptions about the
publication processes used, the nature of the content, the
publisher's relationship with the 'reverse proxies' (n.b. - WREC
discouraged this term in favour of surrogates), and the nature of the
services which will be applied.