Re: [Hist Trivia] IP Protocol Layers

2001-07-24 11:40:03
    > I.e., layering is, IMO at least, a model. Fine for describing
    > things, but not necessarily a good blueprint for an implementation.

Yes, but this is hardly news in the IETF - or at least, it *ought not* to
be news. See RFC-817, "Modularity and Efficiency in Protocol
Implementation", July 1982 - about 20 years ago.

I also wonder why the notion that the functional modularization of the
architecture/specification might differ from that of particular
implementations is something some people seem not to have internalized -
this idea dates all the way back to the IBM 360 line of the early 1960's.

        Noel