Re: filtering active content

2001-07-25 02:00:02
Seems to me that MSN has made, and is making, a very clear statement of its carefully considered regard for the interests of all Internet Users of their software systems.

My personal solution is to avoid the use of any MSN system that I can avoid.
So I am voting with my wallet and my fingers. So far, the only impact of this latest annoyance is the trash flowing on this list as a result of failure to discriminate between trash and not-trash.

I do appreciate the effort to at least surgically remove the virus code from the forwarded mail. I am not sure why they don't also top forwarding the rest of such messages, along with all the notices, since it is obvious that there is no useful content in the message without its virus/worm code, and then they could also stop sending us two notices of removed virus.worm code for each forwarded instance of a neutered virus/worm bearing message.

Since it is clear that they are able to recognize the ornery little beasties,
why not go all the way, and just send them all to devnull(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?

Think of all the mental effort and anguish that this would save us from;-)... I hesitate to try to put a value on it, but it must come close to $100,000 by now for this instance.

Cheers...\Stef

At 20:54 -0700 24/07/01, James P. Salsman wrote:
Vernon Schryver asks:

 >... Is there a reasonable filter than can filter what Microsoft considers
 > active content?

<SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>... <SNIP>

The correct solution is to find out who at Microsoft refuses to put
security safeguards on the address book(s) and allows scripts to
fully send messages instead of queueing for approval.  I find it
amazing that they haven't implemented such easy fixes in the past
couple of years, after things started getting really bad.  I theorize
that the human race is in a darwinian symbiosis with the email worms,
which, like wolves, cull the weak (less intelligent) from the herd,
allowing additional resources for the rest.

Cheers,
James