Re: Can we lock the f'ing door already?

2001-08-02 07:00:03
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari(_at_)OLTECO(_dot_)com>

Good point. Can we get back to discussing how to lock the
door? At least two approaches seem appealing to me - ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
doesn't forward messages over 32 kbyte, and only forwards messages
that are plain ASCII. So... who can actually make this happen,
and why isn't it done yet?

      So...has anyone gone back and done the analysis on the archive
      to see what the actual message size range happens to be?

      32KB happens to be a bit on the largish side for ACSII TEXT
      messages.

As someone pointed out, odin.ietf.org may be involved in shipping I-D's.
From my private stash of RFC's, it seems that 90% of RFC's are
smaller than 100K, but there are some that are substantially larger
than the currently popular virus.  The largest is about 1.3 MBytes.

On the other hand, I think that can be solved with one line per
restricted-size mailing list in a sendmail 8.11 mailertable and about 6
lines in sendmail.cf to define and use a mailer with a special "Maxsize".