Question on SIP versus H.323 Multimedia teleconferencing

2001-08-15 10:10:03
Greetings,
I'm trying to put together a programme regarding multimedia telecom and have
been working with H.323.

My perception is this standard did poorly due to generally insufficient
bandwidth, a small universe of QoS and hard to support port usage.

On the other hand, SIP looks like a winner the same way bluetooth did. That
is, the blemishes only show when the thing exists.

Supporting H.323 through a firewall/proxy seems intrinsically difficult. On
the other hand, the wildcard port usage might have subtle value in
scalability. I gather SIP is more old school, like a telnet session, more or
less containing more complex objects; (speech, etc).

Any opinions on this?

I'm not complaining but am observing the zero length attached viruses in my
attachment directory from this list just passed 100!

Regards to All
Dan K