RE: Re-visiting the jutification for BEEP

2001-09-11 13:10:03
At 12:16 PM 9/11/2001, Christian Huitema wrote:
Well, I remember running TCP over the Transpac's X.25 network at about
the same time as CSNET, and my memories would certainly not qualify as
"fine." What did happen quite frequently was that one of the many TCP
connections would send a burst of packets that would saturate the X.25
flow control;

Sounds as if Telenet (the provider I was using) had better flow control signalling up to the X.25 user level...

 Also, this was before the introduction
of congestion control and the revision of the RTT estimation algorithm.

Well it was certainly before the burst of excellent congestion control work done in the mid/late 80's, but TCP did have a functioning mechanism, as I recall.

But I can certainly see variations of the problem happening in BEEP,

Please forgive my making a play on your words, but the problem with this exchange is not that you "can see" the problems but, rather, "can imagine" that they might exist. However the current specification attends to the problem, rather carefully.

If you could "see" problems, you could document them or at least describe the failings of the current specification. So far, no such detailed technical analysis of the specification's deficiencies have been forthcoming.

There is, of course, a possibility that the specification is flawed, but that is true of all specifications that have not been fielded. That is why we have a 3-stage standards process. It is NOT, therefore, a basis for preventing entering standards track.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464