Re: Why does Valdis trust UL?

2002-02-02 15:20:02
I keep working on Keeping It Simple in honor of Stupid;-)...  (KISS)

In keeping with this, and still seeking some progress, you might note that my position is reasonably fluid, since the solution(s) do not seem to be obvious from the beginning.

It is extremely difficult to do what is needed in the form of Enforcement, which requires Punishment Consequences and trial courts and all such. All of which we all agree, should not be mounted or provided by IETF.

But, let's suppose that someone assembled some documented test cases for Interoperability, such as were used first for the first pair of implementations the justified moving a standard from Proposed Standard to Draft Standard.

At levels above IP/TCP I suspect that there is very little code required to do the testing. what is required instead of code is scenarios for sending this that and the other thing in both directions between interworking systems.

I am assuming that such a test was performed at least once, whether documented or not. I further assume that this could plausibly be used as an initial Public Standard for testing. This is the specification of the test, not the code for the test. What kinds of objects are to be exchanged successfully before that first pair can be accepted as proof of interworking between that first justifying pair of independent applications.

I suggest that the first thing to do is stop tossing those test specs in the trash after they are used, as though they have no further value. They in fact have the value of a seed that can grow into a valuable long term testing protocol for all that care about interworking, such that any customer seeking to buy the most interoperable systems can use the published test suite protocol to do in-house testing on the systems offered by bidding vendors.

So, what I propose is to do something that will give the customers a tool for protecting themselves from careless or heedless or even dishonest vendors.

As things are now, we, the end users and customers are basically defenseless in the face of what appear to be hostile vendors who are without any checks and balances in the hands of crippled customers.

If nothing else, our customer community should be interested in founding an operation that will supply interoperability test scenarios for themselves. to hell with expecting the vendors to protect the customers. If the testing tools are not in the hands of the customers, who can you trust.

Don't tell me that we should trust the Marketing Droids;-)...
How much testing do those Droids do?

I suspect they mostly test market savvy, not product reliability.

But, being suspicious is not a useful thing without some tools to use for seeking truth.

I prefer to Trust, but Verify!
This is the power in customer emPOWERment.

BTW, I do not expect much help from vendors in this strategy.
Though one or two might find some advantage in helping out.

Especially if they offer real interworking systems;-)...

Cheers..Stef