Re: IPv6 MTU issues in FTTH applications

2002-02-22 12:00:02
over multiple Ethernet frames without
using IPv6 packet fragmentation mechanisms.

One thing to remember is that IPv6 routers don't do fragmentation
(RFC-2460, section 4.5).  If FTTH (sorry, I don't recognize the acronym)
gets used mostly as a LAN technology, then you'll be increasing the size
of the last-hop MTU without increasing the MTUs on intermediate hops, so
you won't gain much.  Might be more important to preserve the 1500 byte
MTU to make it easier to bridge to other types of Ethernet.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|"Baldric, how did you manage to find a turnip that cost 400,000|
|pounds?" "Well, I had to haggle." --Blackadder III             |