Re: Proprietary IP Protocol Type

2002-03-04 23:30:03
Vernon Schryver wrote:
To: marelines(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: nabe(_at_)iij(_dot_)ad(_dot_)jp
Subject: Re: Proprietary IP Protocol Type
From: Kuniaki Kondo <kuniaki(_at_)iij(_dot_)ad(_dot_)jp>

I am working on a distributed router and i want to run my own proprietary
protocol inside over
the IP layer. ...

I also have a same question.
I would like to get a document which is described assignment criteria,
current being used, etc...

If someone know, please advice me.

Please do not be offended, but if you do not already know the answers
to such questions or at least better places than the main IETF mailing
list to ask them, then it is practically certain that you would be
better served to use UDP/IP instead of raw IP.

The number of available IP protocol numbers is infinitesimal compared
to the number of UDP port numbers.  (The host addresses can be seen
as qualifying port numbers, but protocol numbers are global.)

For prototyping, you don't need to worry about port or even protocol number collisions. Use a checksum to ensure that you're interpretation of incoming packets is correct, and ignore those whose checksums err. Unless the protocol number is in common use, the overhead will be sufficiently low.

Joe