Re: Author's details in RFCs

2002-03-27 05:00:03
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Ian Cooper wrote:
But why must the author(s)/editor supply addresses and telephone numbers?
And what should an independent author/editor with no affiliation provide?
(Please don't tell me they should use their residential details - that's
unacceptable.)

I understand that in rare cases the RFC Editor will allow publications with
only a persistent email address, but in that case I'm curious as to why we
don't just go that route and do away with physically bound points of
contact altogether.  After all, they don't appear to serve any useful
purpose (other than to provide headhunters a number to call).

I agree completely.  I've zero intention to provide anything other than:

 - name
 - affiliation
 - city, country
 - email address

in any draft I'll write; I won't put in street address, phone number or
anything because I don't want to be contacted that way based on a
draft/RFC: email address will work, and if not, it will be more or less
trivial to find another address that does work.  And if a new email
address couldn't be found, one probably don't want to be contacted about
the issue anyway.