Re: on WG milestones (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-etal-ietf-analysis-00.txt)

2002-04-16 11:04:47
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 01:20:40PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
Suggestions:

- limit the goals: charter most groups to only do tasks that can reasonably
  be completed within a year, or 18 months at the most.  allow a six month
  extension when necessary, but expect that the group will *shut down*
  (not be rechartered) after this period.

Yes.  Setting the goals correctly is critical in an environment like the
IETF.  Corollary: design the goals so that participants won't feel the
need for much feature creep once the working group is rolling.

- try to identify likely solutions to the fundamental problems *before* the
  group is chartered

I like the idea that a WG is chartered for either requirements or
solutions.

- have the chair (or the AD) periodically send out the group's charter and a
  status report to the mailing list, to remind people of where they are.

- explicitly include last call and IESG review of each document in the
  timetables.  also include at least one document revision cycle per
  document following such review.