Re: RFC conformance:

2002-04-20 07:02:17

On Friday, April 19, 2002, at 04:00 , Liao Wei wrote:
Each IEEE standards give out  PICS proforma for Protocol  Implementation
Conformance Statement. The supplier of an implementation that is claimed
to conform to the standard should complete the PICS document and provide
the information necessary to identify the supplier and implementaion.

Is there any this kind of document for RFCs.

No.  And my experience has been that PICS documents (from anyplace, not
just IEEE) have not been a good indicator of whether the implementation
really conformed/complied with the spec I was referencing.

If an internet device supplier claim their implementaion conform to RFCXXXX.
What should subscriber do to verify the conformance.

That is left entirely up to the customer. IETF does not specify any such conformance tests to run. When I've been a customer, I have invented my own tests
for things I cared about and tested the equipment myself.

Ran
rja(_at_)extremenetworks(_dot_)com