Re: Session Initiation protocol and videogame consoles

2002-05-16 08:11:04
The idea being running processes
(usually games) that don't know their inside SIP.

Would it be RTP? Ethernet tunnelling maybe?

Huh.  Well, if you've got a game that thinks it's just running over IP, or
over Ethernet, then you don't really need RTP's timestamps.  On the other
hand, you also don't need the reliability of SIP-level messages--and those
would be a larger problem than the timestamps, because the game's protocol
might include some bits that should be unreliable (e.g., if audio
streams).

I suppose you could (on the right OS) set up an IP interface, or a dummy
Ethernet device, that actually tunnels over a SIP session.  (Make sure you
had a sufficiently unique MAC address, of course.) The hard part would be
doing it securely--if you're behind a firewall, you need to make sure that
your virtual network has filtering at least as strong as your physical
network.  With an OS like the HURD (when it's ready), or maybe Plan 9, you
could make that interface available only to the process(es) running the
game; that would contain the amount of damage that could be done.

None of this is really the Right Thing, of course; what you really want is
a gaming protocol that actually runs over SIP, instead of having to tunnel
it.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer              |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.         |
|"Your reality, sir, is lies & balderdash, and I am pleased to say|
|I have no grasp on it whatsoever!" --Baron Munchausen            |