Re: class E address

2002-06-10 13:24:39
  *>
  *> In the first case I describe in this message, I wonder why the lowest
address
  *> of class E is not 240.0.0.1 because the adress with all 1 and all 0 have
  *> special meanings (all 0 means "this" and all "1" means broadcast).
  *>

Because the internal structure and semantics of a class E address are
totally undefined.  Maybe the low order bits are NOT a host address,
for example.  Note that class D addresses were reserved for many years,
until IP multicast was invented around 1988 and assigned to class D.
Then class E became reserved.  If/when we find a use of class E
addresses, presumably class F will become reserved.

Bob Braden

  *> Thank you very much,
  *> Mai Trang
  *>