RE: Modems

2002-06-17 02:29:57
It IS the ISO OSI model. I see no contradiction with TCP/IP. Simply, there is
no link layer in TCP/IP : it's a model that only provides higher layers and
must be implemented over an existing link layer technology :

OSI
Layer  Name             TCP/IP
-----------------------------------
7      Application    ]
6      Presentation   ] APPLICATION (HTTP, FTP, DNS,...)
5      Session        ]
-----------------------------------
4      Transport        TRANSPORT (TCP, UDP)
-----------------------------------
3      Network          INTERNET (IP)
-----------------------------------
2      Data Link      ] Link layer
1      Physical       ] (PPP, Ethernet,...)

No model is supposed to obligatorily cover the 7 OSI layers. Look at NetWare,
very close to TCP/IP : it only covers the 5 upper layers and doesn't provide
the two first layers, neither.

Such models must be completed with "something" at those 2 lowest layers in case
of a practical/full implementation : TCP/IP over Ethernet or over PPP, NetWare
over Token Ring or over ISDN, etc. In other words, those models are "blind" to
the lower layers : whatever those lower layers, they will transparently use ANY
underlying technology and run above it.

On the other hand, there are models only covering the LOWEST layers, like LANs
(IEEE 802 : 2 first layers), ATM (2 first layers), X.25 (3 first layers), etc.
Whatever is implemented over them to run above them.